5 Ways a Dermatologist Can Help You Get Rid of Warts
Got warts? Warts are small, hard skin growths caused by an infection with the human papilloma virus (HPV). Although most warts are harmless, doctors do treat them. Dr. Marco Petrazzuoli at Connecticut Coastline Dermatology in Milford, CT, offers treatments for warts. Here are 5 ways a dermatologist can help you get rid of warts.
1. Cryotherapy. Freezing therapy done at your Milford, CT, dermatologist's office involves applying liquid nitrogen to your warts. Freezing works by causing a blister to form under and around the wart. Then, the dead tissue sloughs off within several days. This method will also stimulate your immune system to fight viral warts. You may need to return to your dermatologist's office for repeat treatments.
2. Laser treatment. Dr. Petrazzuoli may recommend laser treatment if your warts haven't responded to other therapies. Laser treatment burns tiny blood vessels. The infected tissue eventually dies, and the warts falls off. Before laser treatment, your dermatologist may numb the warts with an anesthetic injection.
3. Salicylic Acid. Your dermatologist can treat your warts with topical salicylic acid. Salicylic acid causes the warts to gradually peel off. This is a good way of getting rid of warts, but it should not be used to treat warts on the face, neck, or genitals. This medication will generally remove warts within one or two weeks if applied regularly.
4. Cantharidin. Your dermatologist may use topical cantharidin to treat your warts. Cantharidin is a chemical that removes warts by causing a blister to form under the wart. With this treatment, your dermatologist “paints” the chemical onto your warts. If the warts aren't gone after one treatment, your dermatologist may suggest another treatment.
5. Surgery. Your dermatologist may recommend surgery if your warts have not responded to non-surgical treatments. Your dermatologist can burn your warts with electricity or cut them with a surgical knife. You’ll need to receive a shot of anesthesia first. Surgery for warts is usually quick and effective.
Get rid of your warts easily. Call Connecticut Coastline Dermatology in Milford, CT, at 203-301-5860 today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Marco Petrazzuoli. Get back on track by receiving the best wart treatment available.